Monday, April 18, 2011

A Starting Point - The Patio Oven

Today I went out to the patio and measured the exact dimensions for the oven and laid some block down to get a visual image of the location of the oven. I was suddenly hit with a great wave of anticipation.


But the point I am at now (just about to break ground with construction), seems like it will be the easier part of the journey (however, I could be wrong). The hard part was understanding all the details and painting a comprehensive picture in my brain so that I could more or less proceed without much confusion as to why or how to do something. Unlike most "patio oven builders" out there, I am approaching at this project somewhat backwards because I already have 2 years of experience working on a much larger commercial brick oven. So I already understand HOW the oven works from firsthand experience, but I am now learning WHY it works so well. I can't emphasize enough to do your studying before you break ground if you are going to follow the Alan Scott model for a brick oven.

An absolute MUST have for oven building is Daniel Wing and Alan Scotts book The Bread Builders. I also learned a considerable amount from Kiko Denzer's Build Your Own Earth Oven but have decided to stick 100% to the method laid out in The Bread Builders, mostly because we are preparing ourselves for making a big one some day using more or less the same methods. There are some confusing parts to the book, especially with the pictures and the order they are shown, so I will do my best to post pictures with descriptions of what we are doing.

The oven we are going to build, however, is not the same size as what is shown in The Bread Builders. They suggest building an oven which is 32x36 inches. The oven we are building will have a baking surface of 24x28 inches. However, the method of building and the guidelines in the book will be more or less identical with some slight modifications which I have gained from other oven builders. 





No comments:

Post a Comment